In... and out

I bought this little succulent a couple of weeks ago. Like so many of its type its leaves are a rosette, radiating outwards from an ever-opening centre. And that centre was what made it stand out for me from the others clustering around on the shop's shelf. Whereas the other plants swirled out from raised centres, which rather resembled little crowns, this one goes inward and downward; a centre which seems to go deeper. The plant's movement is still radiating outward, but from depth, not height.

And this seems to be a good image to take with me today, as I load up the car and set off for Llannerchwen, my favourite place for a retreat. I'm looking forward to eight days of space and solitude, and the silence permeating the place; to long walks in untramelled nature and, of course, to extra, focused time in prayer and sitting contemplatively with God. Fundamentally, I'm looking forward to the greater depth and interiority a retreat makes possible: to time spent at my Source, replenishing and renewing myself; to inwardness in order to radiate outwards... so that returning I can better - as our Constitutions put it - radiate the very love of His Heart...

And I will also take with me some words from yesterday's saint, Edith Stein, and the hope that this time will help me to grow in love, in unbounded fullness, in goodness giving itself away...

Prayer is the communication of the soul with God. God is love, and love is goodness giving itself away. It is a fullness of being that does not want to remain enclosed in itself, but rather to share itself with others.



Comments