Some definite service

Over the last couple of days my social media feeds have been full of John Henry Newman. Today he and four holy women were canonised in Rome. Although British and scholarly interest has been focused on Newman, the women - Marguerite Bays, Mariam Thresia Chiramel, Dulce Lopes, Giuseppina Vannini - most certainly need to be celebrated as well. Speaking of them Pope Francis said:

Three of them were religious women; they show us that the consecrated life is a journey of love at the existential peripheries of the world. Saint Marguerite Bays, on the other hand, was a seamstress; she speaks to us of the power of simple prayer, enduring patience and silent self-giving. That is how the Lord made the splendour of Easter radiate in her life. 

Newman, by contrast, was a convert clergyman, theologian and prolific writer - and it is his hymns and extracts from his writing which have been predominant these past few days. Reflecting on them, I am struck by their underlying theme of trust, in God's guidance, providence and his wisdom. It was this trust which helped him into the Catholic Church at a time when such a move was extremely unpopular and counter-cultural. He took that first, huge step, whilst still unsure about what, where and how the next steps on his journey would be. Three years later, while still unclear and wondering what his new life would be about, he was able to write, with quiet, reflective confidence:

God has created me to do Him some definite service. He has committed some work to me which He has not committed to another. I have my mission. I may never know it in this life, but I shall be told it in the next... He has not created me for naught... Therefore, I will trust Him. Whatever, wherever I am, I can never be thrown away... If I am in perplexity, my perplexity may serve Him... He does nothing in vain. He knows what He is about.

The first sentence or two are the ones always quoted in memes and soundbites; and, away from their original context, that little qualifying word - some - can easily be missed. When I first read them, years ago, I assumed clarity and conviction, and the absence of doubt; that Newman was declaring his calling to "a" definite, unique, already-revealed mission, rather than something he might never be sure of in this life. That's why the full text, with all its awareness of likely darkness, clouds and confusion - and still those declarations of trust, acceptance and self-offering! - is worth reading and reflecting on.

I know many young Catholics are celebrating St John Henry's canonisation and drawing inspiration from his life. Many are discerning and wondering just what their definite service might be. Some of them are staring at the possibility of that journey of love which is consecrated life; others wondering, more generally, how and where God might be calling them to make the splendour of Easter radiate in their lives. They may well be praying and looking for a sign which will dispel doubts and fears by giving them certainty; although - as Newman shows - there can only be one, over-riding certainty: God knows what he is about. May we all come to know and trust in this certainty in our own lives, whatever our mission and definite service...



Comments