The experience of Peter and Paul

I hope that everyone might have the experience of Peter and Paul; namely that the love of Jesus Christ may save their life and drive them to give it, drive them to give it with joy, with gratuitousness. ~ Pope Francis

My primary school, where my early awareness of a loving God, known especially through Jesus, was reinforced, was called SS Peter & Paul - and so I have a nostalgic affection for today's feast. Twenty years later, before entering religious life, this was also the name of my parish. And, as today's tweet from Pope Francis has reminded me, it was whilst living here that my life was changed, and its direction completely, radically altered, through encountering Love with new intensity and insistence. It was here, in a parish under their patronage, that I had something of the experience of Peter and Paul.

I had wandered away for a few years, but now I wandered back; at times beckoned, at others impelled. It was here that I realised that the 'more' I had been searching for was, in reality, 'more' of God. It was here that I retrieved my bible; here that I began to pray, to get to know Jesus more intimately, and return to his Body - both Eucharist and community. And it was here that I experienced, and was overwhelmed by Love, unmeasured, unconditional, calling me with such strength to respond; to love back, and to love widely. 

And yes; to give my life and my love freely and with joy, receiving grace and God's fullness and so much more in return. Like Paul I have had my unforgettable, direction-changing Damascus; like Peter, I knew - still know - that there is only One to and with whom I can go. 

And you; where and how have you had an experience akin to that of Peter and Paul...?

Comments