God at each doorknob

A few hours ago, I noticed a tweet in which someone was asking why spiritual guides always emphasise the primacy of silence for hearing and being with God. Silence - whether interior or exterior - is not always possible, or unexacting to achieve, whether due to anxiety or medical issues, or life's noisy circumstances. How, then, can someone simply, literally, unable to be still or silent grow in prayerfulness, and discern God in the gentle, barely perceptible breeze...?

As I read the helpful replies, I reflected on my own struggles with, and journey into, silence, and my own need for greater depth and interiority. And then I was reminded of something one of my sisters once told me about: a practice she had once used to help her grow in recollection, and awareness of God's presence; one that I have sometimes, sporadically, used myself... something I would probably benefit from doing more regularly, and with greater intention. Quite simply, it centres around pausing at every doorknob, and bringing God to mind, before opening the door. 

How many doors do we heedlessly open and go through each day? Doors into rooms, streets and gardens; into offices and shops, churches and classrooms. Doors which slide open at our presence, or need unlocking with a key; those already ajar, and those which need a good, strong push or pull. Doors into home, and familiar, comforting spaces, or portals into adventure and the unknown; doors leading us into tense situations, or to the loveliness of nature, or time with one we love. And each one an opportunity to pause, and remember God, even if only for a second or two; for a fleeting moment of prayer, and mindfulness of Love.

Sometimes, on the threshold of a job interview, exam or medical appointment, we will naturally pause and murmur a swift prayer; just as we might pause, silently reverent, in a church doorway. But what if we pause anyway, regardless of the entrance's likely significance, and remind ourselves of the God who accompanies us into the space, and desires only to be encountered and known there? What difference might it make to us, our prayer and our relationship with God, and to those we meet?

So, this week, with God's help, that's what I plan to start doing, and discovering... 


Comments