What makes my heart bloom

I did not 'choose' religious life - I was called to it by God... a call experienced with such intensity and strength, I'm not sure how much I can even claim to have chosen to respond. And I didn't decide or choose to join the Society of the Sacred Heart: when I was visiting different congregations, the Society was, quite simply, the only one where I felt instantly at home; where something 'clicked' within my heart, and where I sensed a connection with the sisters I met. In a way, a choice was already made for me, and my choice was simply to follow it, as whole-heartedly as I could. And that is how life so often can be: our larger choices can be limited by age and circumstances and health, but our daily choices are still myriad.

And so... when I spotted this little notebook earlier today in the St Paul's shop, I could nod and think, yes; I choose, and have chosen, and can continue to choose, what makes my heart bloom. Every day, I choose religious life, in the Society of the Sacred Heart - and this alone makes my heart bloom, and widen and grow. Every day, I choose to live and deepen my call as an RSCJ; to be a contemplative in action, who discovers and makes known unlimited, unconditional Love, hidden and not-so hidden at the heart of our world and our daily lives. I choose to believe in the power and promise of Jesus' total gift of himself in love, and in his hate-defeating death and Resurrection. And in the face of so much darkness, I choose to hold on to hope; to believe that love and light will prevail, and that the source of this hope and our healing is in the pierced and wounded Heart of Jesus.

Yes; every day, I choose, and can continue to choose, what makes my heart bloom.

What can you choose...?


Comments