Radiance and a reluctant sunflower

I hope I won't inadvertently jinx anything if I say that this year, for the first time ever, I am on the brink of growing some sunflowers. Having sown them just over three months ago, watered and nurtured them, I had hoped by now to be enjoying the flowering of at least one, but... not yet... Instead, I must learn to be patient! Of the original eighteen seedlings, all growing at different speeds, an undoubted leader has emerged, larger, stronger and more developed than the others. To my delight, its first tiny, tightly-closed bud appeared several weeks ago, slowly increasing in size: for the past few days, and despite my daily encouragement, it has hovered, seemingly poised on the verge of beginning to open. 

Last week, I had rather hoped today would be its day for at least starting to uncover its still-furled petals. What better day for revealing the glorious, golden beauty of its being than the Transfiguration, when we celebrate Jesus' revelation of the radiance and glory of his own being; the radiance and glory of grace, and of Love? But no; the sunflower continues to keep its loveliness closely, tightly hidden, as it spends each day intently tracking the sun's warmth and light, gently turning its head from east to west, sunrise to sunset, catching every possible ray. It might not be ready to display its own inner radiance, but it is certainly allowing itself to be thoroughly bathed in a transforming radiance far greater than itself! 

So, from my reluctant sunflower and me... Happy feast to you all! May we all keep our eyes and our hearts turned always towards Jesus, allowing him to open, expand and transfigure us into the radiance of Love!

(NB: For the benefit of any sunflower growers reading this - photo taken three days ago) 


Comments