The other day a friend and I walked around St Ignatius church in Stamford Hill, in London. Built about 120 years ago by the Jesuits, who still run the parish, its walls are gilded with stunning mosaics, and some interesting symbolism, which we enjoyed interpreting and discussing in enthusiastic whispers. My friend drew my attention to the arch above the entrance to the Sacred Heart chapel; to the lustrous mosaic showing Jesus surrounded by thirty or so saints and a few angels. How many of those saints can you identify? My eyes swept the throng, which contained a few instantly recognisable ones... But in a second, before I'd even started noticing let alone naming them... A sudden leap of recognition, as I spotted one who is so very dear and very familiar... Oh, there's Sophie! There, kneeling on the right... holding an image of the Sacred Heart...
My friend peered at the mosaic, and chuckled softly. Sophie was one of the saints he hadn't been able to identify, but he admitted that he'd also been confused by the image she was holding. The Sacred Heart? I thought it was something like Veronica's veil! My phone's camera couldn't zoom in enough to do justice to the details, but - my outstretched hand tracing the pattern in the air - I assured him she was definitely holding an image with an outline of a heart, surmounted by a cross. (There's an enlarged detail further down, or you can try viewing it on this page of the church's website)
How and where are you being called to reveal the face of Love today?


Comments
Post a Comment