Not that kind of girl

Today's saint, Therese of Lisieux, is almost always portrayed, whether in icons or statues, holding two things: a large crucifix, and an equally large quantity of roses. The crucifix speaks of suffering and immense, self-giving love - Jesus's first, but also Therese's in response. And the roses are an homage to some words she uttered shortly before she died: After my death, I will let fall a shower of roses. I will spend my heaven doing good upon earth. I will raise up a mighty host of little saints. My mission is to make God loved... And until a few months ago, I had never really thought about the fact that I had always only ever seen her clutching these roses, holding them to herself, instead of strewing them liberally, as the petalled, heavenly largesse she wanted them to be. 

But then in June I spent a couple of days in Paris, and whilst walking around the church of St Louis-en-L'Isle I suddenly encountered Therese as I had never seen her before! Here she was, several roses already scattered around her feet, holding one out... Not casually, or as if about to let it fall... No, she was offering it, very deliberately and intentionally. Yes, she still held a few to herself, along with her precious crucifix; but it was as if she had looked at this little posy, chosen the loveliest and most scented, and wanted only to give it away. But of course, I joked with my companions, Therese wouldn't want to keep all her roses to herself. She was not that kind of girl!

Not that kind of girl... Because who ever became a saint by hugging all their roses to themselves, or refusing to part with the choicest ones? And who ever became a saint by not wanting others to receive and enjoy God's abundant gifts and graces, or praying and seeking for them to grow in holiness and love?

During her short life, Therese came to know her call was to be love at the heart of the Church; a love which impelled her desire to spend her heaven continuing her life of intercessory prayer. Whether or not we receive actual roses, she would surely want us to grow in grace and trust and inner peace, in gentle love, and in generosity with God's gifts. May she pray for this for us all; and pray that we too may be faithful to our mission, centred on Love.

May we too be that kind of person. 


Comments