Did you think the wine had run out?

Yesterday work took me to a training day which began with a reflection on the wedding feast at Cana, led by Wintershall. The leader, recalling the miracle as if through Mary's eyes, began by asking us: Did you think the wine had run out? 

As she continued speaking I stayed with that question. And I thought of the events - little and large - and the setbacks which can discourage and dishearten me. I thought of the nastiness in our world, and the grim state of our politics, and all that can drag me down with despair; those times when I feel weary or empty, and the situations when it seems that the wine has indeed run out...

But did you really think the wine had run out...?

And I was reminded that nothing which is of God will ever run out: and that dry, empty jars and plain water can be turned into something so much sweeter and better than anything I have already known, and anything I can even begin to ask for or imagine...


Comments