All of me

I rarely listen to the radio - except when driving. Then, music and news headlines blend into a pleasant background to the business of getting from A to B, or negotiating jams and roadworks - especially when the station is something like Smooth FM, with its relaxing, upbeat mix of popular songs. Well-remembered and significant songs and artists from my teens and twenties seep into contemporary songs, before segueing into soul or 60s classics - all part of my life's soundtrack, and reminders of music's enduring potency and magic.

I didn't realise it at the time, but lockdown's reduction in travel meant I hardly listened to any of these songs for more than three months. And even though lockdown has eased, and I have started visiting churches and projects and friends again, I still don't drive even half as much as I used to. When I do, the traffic still feels lighter than it used to, and the reason for the journey, on once-familiar roads, still feels enough of a novelty as to give it something of a light-hearted feel. Which is one reason why I started singing along to Smooth the other day, as 1980s pop gave way to a more contemporary love song...

... And as I joined John Legend in declaring that all of me loves all of you... it occurred to me, not for the first time, that some of the best love songs can definitely be sung to God. Not for the first time; but with the impact and intensity of a first time. And as I sang on, I knew this one was a duet. God unconditionally loves my curves and rough, spiky edges, and all my perfect imperfections, with a love which is as immeasurable as it is abundant. For my part, God is my end and my beginning, and I know only too well that with God, whatever I might think I lose, I am in fact always winning so much more.

But the other lines... they're the ones God and I can sing to each other, in harmony... and the ones I so want my life to proclaim.

'Cause all of me
Loves all of you
Love your curves and all your edges
All your perfect imperfections
Give your all to me
I'll give my all to you
You're my end and my beginning
Even when I lose I'm winning
'Cause I give you all of me
And you give me all of you...

And you... What are the love songs you and God sing to and with each other...?


Comments