In praise of... my right hand

It's Left-handers Day... I'm extremely left-handed... and here I am praising my right hand?? Well, yes I am, because my right hand deserves it. It has been working extremely hard, ever since I tripped and fell four weeks ago, injuring my left wrist. At first I assumed I'd only badly sprained it, and iced and wrapped and rested it accordingly; eventually I contacted my GP, who sent me to the local hospital for an X ray. Within an hour, thanks to our amazing NHS, I was being treated for a tiny fracture. Tiny, yes; but powerful enough to confine my left hand to a splint until the end of this month, and leave me unable to lift, carry or do the many everyday things I never previously gave a second thought to. Oh, and painful, too!

And so, my right hand has been pressed into service. Hitherto, it had spent most of its life watching or at best assisting my left hand, its big moment coming whenever I needed to use scissors (which favour right-handers) - but now, it has certainly stepped up. Whilst not as quick or dexterous (excuse the pun) as my left hand, it has nonetheless coped with this new responsibility, wielding spoons, forks, a toothbrush and comb, as well as engaging in a crash course in various tasks it has had to carry out more or less single-handedly.

I say 'more or less single-handedly' because, as I have discovered, there is a myriad of tasks for which I need to use both hands (including typing and taking photos!) - and several others for which I need to ask for help. And that, of course, is how life is and has to be, in good times or bad, health as well as sickness. We need each other: we can be independent, but we must also be interdependent, our lives interwoven in mutual giving and receiving. Yes, thankfully there's a lot I can do for myself, whether with one hand or two; but also a lot - currently more than usual - for which I need someone else. 

So today I can celebrate the awesomeness of being left-handed, whilst also giving my right hand an appreciative pat and 'well done'. And then, importantly, give thanks for other people... and for daily, sometimes unrecognised love and support, freely given and gratefully received.


Comments