Week-ending rainbow

It's been a full-on week. Busyness by day, and - thanks to a mini-heatwave - warm, wearily wakeful nights. Last night I slept fitfully, waking far too early, and somehow catching up with myself as the day progressed. As I typed my final few work emails I felt sluggish again, energy ebbing into the keyboard. We'd had a heavy rain shower in the morning; clouds; blue skies, and then in the early evening, as I considered a quick walk up the road, another sudden, brief burst of rain. 

And then, just as suddenly, a burst of sunshine, gilding buildings and casting the sky into sullen, gunmetal relief. And an intuition quickened within me, that all this was being surmounted by a rainbow... I rushed to the window, and yes; it was!

These past few days I had been reflecting on covenant and commitment, and God's fidelity; and here, in these hazy, magical, ephemeral stripes, was the sure reminder. And from somewhere within me - 

The favours of the Lord are not all past,
his kindnesses are not exhausted;
every morning they are renewed; 
great is his faithfulness... 
(Lamentations 3.22)

God's kindnesses are not exhausted... and somehow, in that heart-lifting moment, neither was I!

Have a good weekend everyone, with whatever it holds for you; and - rainbows or not - may you know God's faithfulness and inexhaustible kindness. 


Comments