Being a Water Tiger

Today is St Brigid's Day, and I'm told that in Ireland it marks the first day of spring - though maybe marked more in hope and optimism than through actual springlike weather. Meanwhile, it is also Chinese New Year, sparking memories of homemade spring rolls and celebrations back in the day in 11NG. And then came the discovery that this is my year, doubly so: I was born at the tail-end of the Year of the Tiger, which was also, in another cycle, the Year of the Water Tiger, which is what this new year is. 

So, what does all this mean for this particular Water Tiger? Well, as per one of several zodiacs...

The Water signs are kind, gentle, competent, and smart. They are quick-witted and have a good memory. (Yes, that's me and my elephantine memory) Those born in Tiger years are believed to possess some of the qualities of the animal itself. They are courageous, assertive and natural leaders, with a craving for attention and hunger for thrill and adventures. (Errr... no. I don't do scary fairground rides, let alone parachute jumps. Riding pillion on a motorbike is as exhilarating as my life will ever get) Those born in the Water Tiger year are said to be very family-oriented and possess great interpersonal relationships.

Personality-wise, Tigers - whether Water, Fire or another element - seem somewhat variable, depending on which website I read. I am, apparently, confident, charming and well-liked, and simultaneously stubborn, brave, competitive and unpredictable... generous to my loved ones, also rebellious and outspoken, whilst managing to be calm, careful and full of ambition! Faced with such an attractive, eclectic array of qualities I feel somewhat like St Therese, who, as a toddler, responded to being asked to pick from a selection of small gifts by declaring I choose all!

And then there's Tigger... Bouncy, boisterous, exuberant, utterly unique Tigger. When I announced my tiger status to my colleagues, one of them, the most energetic, Tiggerish person in our team, sent this image, with the advice to release your inner Tigger! Any why not? Extreme bounciness aside, Tigger's enthusiasm and playfulness are endearing, and his uncrushable bounce and optimism are enviable. And he knows that life isn't about being the best Tigger in the wood, but about being the best version of himself he can possibly be... and simply loving who and what he was created to be. 

Even if we lack the energy to bounce, we can still, each one of us, release our inner Tigger!



Comments