Not for plaudits or profits

On Thursday Boris Johnson finally resigned as leader of the Conservatives and the country. A few hours later several dozen Catholic campaigners and social activists - veterans and teenagers alike, from across the country - descended on Parliament. No, we weren't there to take over, though we did tweet and joke about this, and about offering to fill the many government and ministerial vacancies which had arisen. And why not? There was plenty of talent in the room, and experience - of education, international development, the environment, working for peace, combatting poverty and more. But more than that, there was plenty of passion, plus the integrity, honesty, values and concern for the common good our country so desperately needs. 

(And while all this was happening, another Nun of Twitter was resurrecting a thread I had begun on this very subject three summers ago, which I summarised here)

Our event was hosted by Siobhain McDonagh MP, whom I had first met forty years ago when we both worked for Wandsworth Council's Housing Department. We met again some years later at local Labour party meetings: Siobhain had already become a Merton Councillor in her early 20s, while I was now working full-time for a trade union. And then our paths diverged... I entered religious life in 1994, and in 1997 Siobhain entered Parliament. Two very different paths, into two very different worlds, diverging but also - via our shared Catholicism - bringing us back into the same room, for an all-too brief catch-up, on this unforgettably momentous day.

We had all gathered for the Celebrating Young People Awards, run by Million Minutes, though there were also two awards for older people. I was pleased and genuinely astonished to be highly commended in the Rutilio Grande Award for religious and clergy, for my Caritas work in schools. Our Constitutions say Conscious that what we do, we do together... And I remain very conscious that I have not done or won any of this alone: I'm part of a multi-talented and supportive team at Caritas; but even more fundamentally and primordially, of a generously supportive, multi-talented RSCJ community called to make Love known through the service of education. Flowing into my work, and my nomination are my sisters' prayers, and interest in what I do, some sound advice around primary school assemblies, donations for the school foodbanks I support, and a good deal more. 

I'm sure, though, that I wasn't alone in being surprised at my nomination. None of us in that room do what we do in order to win awards or medals: or rather, we would only seek one prize; the one St Paul refers to, which we win because we have already been won by Christ. And so, in a room filled with love and positivity, we applauded and heard stories of so many incredible, dedicated young people, all motivated not by plaudits or profits, but by compassion, concern and a desire for fairness and justice; each one engaged, in their own way, in building a better world; each one living their Faith, and their love in action. I'm proud to have my name listed alongside theirs. It was a truly joyous, inspiring evening, giving us all plenty of reasons to have hope for the future.


Comments