Living proof

A line in last Sunday's parish newsletter made me go back and reread the Gospel anew. In Luke's account of the healing of ten lepers our attention is invariably on the sole leper - a Samaritan - coming back to express his gratitude. But what struck me now is that being thanked isn't what Jesus focuses on; rather, he speaks only of the fact that this healed leper has been praising God. As always, he points away from himself, and only to God.

But I was also struck on Sunday when a Benedictine friend focused her blog reflection on the other nine lepers, the ones who go on their way offering neither thanksgiving nor praise. She writes:

I like to imagine that in the days to come, as they adjust to their new reality, something stirs inside them, and space is made for gratefulness and praise. They’d be unlikely to be able to catch Jesus up and thank him personally. But perhaps they now look for opportunities to show mercy to others?

And I was reminded of a blog I'd written, six months ago, about the woman saved from stoning, in which I'd considered a similar outcome. How, I'd written, could she not spend the rest of her life as a living proof of the unconditional, unlimited love, compassion and mercy she had received? 

The same sort of question could be asked of so many others in the Gospels, who only appear once. We read of their life-changing encounter with Jesus, but then the narrative moves on, its focus on Jesus, not on these characters. They have been healed, or restored to life; they have dialogued, questioned and been questioned... challenged, affirmed, transformed... their lives not only changed, but turned completely upside down and inside out. How could they not spend the rest of their lives as a living proof of the love or new life, healing or forgiveness they have received?

But really, the question is about me. I have met Jesus, more than once, and known the transformative, revolutionary power of his presence. I may not have been rescued from death, or healed of a disease, but Love - unconditional, limitless, overwhelming Love - has given me new life, and invited me to journey into wholeness, and the healing of wounds. How, then, can I ever tire or fall short of spending my life as a living proof of this amazing love which I have received, and continue to know and delight in? How can I not become a prayer of praise and thanksgiving?

And you...?


Comments

Post a Comment