The joy of belonging to you

The weather is unremittingly, grimly, cruelly, freezingly COLD, and our daylight hours are too short. It feels especially harsh and unremitting in the middle of a cost of living crisis in which fuel prices have surged, causing too many people to fear turning on their heating, or cooking nutritious meals, even if they can afford the ingredients. And in the midst of this, and with news of tragic deaths in the Channel, I am quietly celebrating the 26th anniversary of the day I professed my first vows - the day which also ends my silver jubilee year.

Yesterday evening, looking for some words from today's saint, John of the Cross, I found this card inside a book. I received it as an unexpected, yet welcome gift for today.

The words on the card can, at first glance, appear strange; selfish, even. I have nothing to offer you, except for my enjoyment, my delight, my happiness...? What about service, love, fidelity...? What about my hands, my heart, my will; the complete self-offering of the Suscipe? But no; what I am being asked to offer God today is my joy in belonging to him. And, in offering it to God, I know I am also asked to offer this joy widely, and freely.

Belonging to God isn't easy. It can mean renunciation, and can be scary, as God often asks for more than I thought I'd be prepared to give; but it also gives deep, untold joy, and - true to Jesus's promise - yields an abundantly rich, indescribably varied hundredfold. This, of course, is the mystery and paradox of receiving through giving, life from death and of fulfillment through sacrifice. And it is the mystery contained in these words of Pope Francis I shared once last year: Life is a gift we receive only when we give ourselves away, and our deepest joy comes from saying yes to love, without ifs and buts... 

So, I may be ending my jubilee year, but not my jubilation! And so, in this bitter, dark winter, and the grimness of our world's crises and cruelties, as well as all its blessings and beauty, I begin this new year of making Love known, sure that I am also called to share the deepest joy which comes from saying YES to Love...


Comments

Post a Comment