The fullness of joy

My friend who blogs at Preferring Nothing to Christ is currently blessing us with a daily Advent Alphabet. Earlier this week she reached J, for Joy, and in the course of her reflection she wrote: This is no fleeting joy, this joy is everlasting. Every fibre of their being will be filled with joy.

I have known such joy. Twenty-seven years ago today, I made my first (temporary) vows in the Society, my whole being infused with an indescribable, unshakeable joy. And whilst I might have forgotten some conversations or other details from that day, the memory of that joy, and its soaring lightness within me, endures. Thus, on Tuesday I read my friend's words, and was instantly transported back to that day, and to the remembrance of a time when yes; every fibre of my being was filled with joy, and deep delight. And I knew that today I was being called to abide in that memory of joy: a joy born of gratitude mingled with surprise, at God's astonishing choice and call, and his acceptance and transformation of my puny, paltry offering. 

And today, as I quietly celebrate this anniversary, I can know that this joy is much more than memory - it is quietly present, and real, and filled with thanksgiving for God's fidelity and unconditional love over so many years. God continues to call, and continues to accept and transform my puny, paltry offering.

On Monday I began the week remembering and reflecting on the psalm from my perpetual vows, and its call to console and to love. Today, I'm reminded of the psalm from my first vows ceremony - Paul Inwood's lovely setting of psalm 16, Centre of my Life. I chose it because it expressed my deepest desire, whilst also proclaiming my delight in God, and in belonging to him. My happiness lies in you alone... And so my heart rejoices, my soul is glad... Culminating in the final verse - 

You will show me the path of life,
the fullness of joy in your presence,
at your right hand,
at your right hand, happiness forever.

And so it has been: the fullness of joy in God... through ups and downs, peaks and troughs... through hard times and heartache, sacrifice and struggle, as much as in Magnificat moments, rejoicing and exhilaration. So it has been; and so, I know, it will continue to be.

So, rejoice with me! And remember and give thanks for your own moments of deep joy and gladness.



Comments