Lent, love and a clean sheet

Today there is a confluence: Ash Wednesday blended with St Valentine, and a hundred memes bringing ashes together with hearts, repentance with romance. And really, what lies at the heart of both these days, if not love? Our love for God, yes; and the generous love for God and others with which we most deeply desire to live, and become the best selves we were created to be. But primarily, the unlimited, self-giving love with which the God who is Love reaches out to us, beckoning us to himself; with which he offers us, daily, the chance to begin anew... the chance to lay down whatever burdens us, and to begin again, with a clean sheet...

And as one of my sisters has gleefully pointed out, I do enjoy starting Lent with a clean sheet! This phrase, referring to a pristine sheet of paper, unmarked by any writing, has its literal as well as metaphorical sense right now. For me, the days before Ash Wednesday - and also the start of Advent - are a time of cleaning and tidying, as part of my preparation for the interior cleaning and decluttering in the weeks which lie ahead. And part of this little ritual involves ensuring I start both Lent and Advent with fresh, clean sheets on my bed!

The turning of a page, to expose a clean sheet... Past misdeeds and errors are still there, as we know only too well, but they can be kept in the past, overlaid by this fresh, clean sheet. Ahead lies a new start; new possibilities. And an invitation from God, issued every day, but especially today, at the start of this season of growth and grace: Do not remember the former things, or consider the things of old. I am about to do a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? And a promise, born of that steadfast love, which has seen and experienced the worst of us, but always wants to believe in, and draw out the best... I will make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert... (Isaiah 43: 18-19). Our inhospitable places, our aridity, which God so longs to transform, if we would only allow him to...

Wishing you a blessed Lent, filled with newness, transformation and promise - and plenty of clean sheets!


Comments

  1. I now know why I changed my sheets yesterday—love the image of starting fresh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post. I happened to be invited to sacred heart academy for Ash Wednesday/ Valentine’s Day mass to begin lent. My sister was mentioned as a recently deceased alumnae at Mass. she was cremated a few weeks ago so love and ashes were especially poignant. Thank you for your post . Grateful for my Sacred Heart education.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments, and my condolences on the loss of your sister. And what an achingly lovely connection to make with love and ashes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment