In praise of... a lovely District driver

As I boarded my Tube train this morning I was greeted by the usual, pre-recorded announcement, blandly telling me that I was at Hammersmith, and this was a District line train to Upminster. And then, as I took my seat, the driver's voice floated cheerily through the train. I wish I had recorded his message, because my surprise means I can only remember snatches. He began with something like - Good morning, good morning, lovely people, welcome aboard this lovely train to Upminster... before calling us all lovely people a couple more times, as he wished us all a lovely sunshine-y day, and a lovely rest of the week. And with that, we pulled out of the station.

I looked around. A few passengers - maybe tourists with limited English - looked confused, but others were smiling. How could we not, after such a lovely greeting? I caught the eye of a woman, and she smiled even more broadly, as she said When he started speaking I thought he was going to announce a delay. Yes, I agreed - that had been my first thought, too. Almost the only time we hear announcements by drivers, they're telling us to stand clear of the closing doors, or apologising for a red signal, or other delay. Sometimes - especially when those signals remain unexplained - the delays are conveyed with wry or resigned humour, but rarely, too rarely, are we welcomed aboard, let alone with such light-hearted cheerfulness. Too often, too, we spend our journeys preoccupied, or reading about violence and division; moments which can gladden and connect us are therefore even more precious.

The woman got off a few minutes later, stopping by my seat to wish me a lovely day. Meanwhile, the greeting was repeated at Earl's Court, along with advice about changing trains, and then at Victoria. This was my station, and I alighted just as the driver began to proclaim Good morning, good morning, good morning, all you lovely people... I couldn't see how the new passengers responded, but I hoped they too were smiling with relish and surprise, even if only for a few seconds.

The driver might never see this blog; he certainly doesn't see his passengers' smiles, or the moments of connection and shared merriment he causes. And he won't know that as I left the platform I was thanking God for him, and for this delightful start to the day and a new month. And giving thanks, too, for whatever it is which enables and impels him to be so freely, consistently positive, charming and cheerful to the unseen strangers he conveys, and regards as lovely people. 

As we begin a new month, how can I, how can we, consciously share cheer and create connection? 

And whatever time you're reading this... Good morning, afternoon, evening, all you lovely people...!

Comments

  1. Wonderful! What a lovely way to start the day - I really want to get on any train he drives! People really can make such a difference, something we all need to remember.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment