My silver sign of love

Rings have been worn, as tokens of unending love, and vowed fidelity, for thousands of years. And like all RSCJ, and sisters in other orders, I received a ring when I professed my perpetual vows.  It is, as our liturgy says, a symbol of the love that unites you to Jesus Christ, sign of your desire to live in union and conformity with his Heart. Ours are simple silver ones, and I bought mine during my time in Mexico, before going to Rome to prepare for my profession. Mexican silver doesn't cost much, but I remember that, as the vendor presented the ring to me in a little felt bag, I felt as if he was giving me something of inestimable worth. As indeed it is; though, as with any sign of love, its value can't be measured in pounds or pesos. 

Twenty-one years since my profession, that ring has rarely left my finger. On the occasions when I do remove it, it often needs a bit of twisting and tugging - which is not a bad thing. I know a few people who have lost rings which became too loose for them, and mine feels too precious to want to unknowingly drop it onto a train floor or in a shop. Yes, I know my vowed commitment is deeper and more permanent than a slender band of silver, but even so... I'd like it to remain where it was placed, all those years ago... 

I needed to remove it yesterday, and as usual, I couldn't help noticing the very clear, pale indentation it left. The love which unites me to Jesus has unquestionably left its imprint on my finger - and, I really hope, deep within my heart! 


Comments