Simply Life snippets I

Those of you who follow me and other UK religious on Twitter will have noticed that this week, several of us have been seeking to share something of the joy and simplicity of our daily lives and mission, and the choice for God we've all made, and continue to make, in the everyday. Using the hashtags #SimplyLife and maybe #Choice4God, we've posted photos and text from monasteries and places of mission, from home and away. If you're on Twitter, do check out those hashtags, for glimpses of the Paralympics chaplaincy team and reflections on the joys and demands of community; for caring, praying, work and rest, and the monastic interweaving of prayer and liturgy with the busyness of cooking, cleaning, and harvesting and preserving fruits and vegetables. 

But for those who are not on Twitter, here are a few snippets from my first #SimplyLife week... 

I shared this photo on Monday morning, saying Starting a new day, and a new week... and as always, it all begins with God, the One who is at the heart of my life as an #RSCJ

Whether we pray alone or together, in darkness or with delight; whether we use scripture, art or an app, pray in a chapel or by contemplating nature; whether praying Divine Office or simply sitting in emptiness and silence, we prioritise this time, which enables us to deepen our central relationship, from which everything else flows, and to which everything must return. We bring the world's pain, and those who have asked for our prayers; and, especially, we bring ourselves, that we may be challenged and transformed, and our love widened, through this regular, daily encounter with the One who has called us.

Even with Facebook, emails and WhatsApp, many of us still value the age-old custom of hand-written, hand-delivered post 'by opportunity', whether it's a few brief lines, or a longer letter containing news - with or without a small, accompanying gift. This little stash of post arrived via a sister who'd been to our General Chapter, from dear friends from Australia, Belgium and Uruguay. 

When we address our envelopes, below the recipient's name, we write By kindness of and then the bearer's name. In reality, slipping a slender envelope or three into my luggage isn't an act of great kindness, by any means - it's a tiny service, done with pleasure, and giving pleasure to both the sender and receiver. It's one of the little ways we continue to live our Cor Unum. There are three continents in this photo, but one heart, in the Heart of Jesus!

And finally... I shared this image on Thursday, after a few other mugs had appeared. This one, a surprise birthday gift from one of my lovely team-mates, is the one I always use whenever I'm in the Caritas office. Thus far, nobody has tried to 'borrow' it! I sometimes forget what it says, and then, as I'm happily sipping my tea, I catch a surprised look on the face of a visitor, or someone on an online call! 

Though I shouldn't ever forget what it says. Because yes, it is lovely to be regarded as awesome, but this mug, and its provenance, is also a reminder that my daily and vowed choice for God has to be evident, and shine through. Just having a mug isn't enough: I actually have to be an awesome nun, with all the generous love, passion and integrity this would imply.

And you; how would you show your life, and your choice for God this week...? 


Comments