In praise of... being caricatured

Do you recognise this woman?! If you do, and maybe chuckled at first sight, then the artist did his job well. This portrait was drawn recently at a charmingly relaxed and joyful wedding, where, during the reception an affable caricaturist called Etim circulated, swiftly depicting guests, whether singly, or as couples or family groups. 

When we think of the word caricature, what comes to mind? Probably ridicule, exaggeration or crude stereotypes, overblown for comedic effect: facial features, tics or mannerisms cruelly highlighted... Or 'types', such as nuns and monks who are often, and easily, caricatured. The word itself derives from the Italian caricare, meaning to load, or overload, or to exaggerate. Sadly, within that exaggeration, there can all too easily be an overloading of mockery, and disdain; a heavy burden for the subject of all this jibing to bear, especially if they have to feign amusement. 

Happily, that was not our experience at the wedding. Yes, of course, there was exaggeration: though in a way, he was simply drawing, or drawing out, the truth - a long chin here, a bulbous nose there - but all done gently; affectionately even. And all recognisable, and undeniably 'us'! Even with some self-deprecation, we were happy to show off our portraits, and receive each other's chuckles and friendly comments.

I did stare at mine though, wondering: Do I really look this middle-aged?? (Silvana, you are middle-aged!) And arrrgh! - look at the size of my ears! But I like the way my face has widened into a huge smile... And I did also smile when I saw that Etim had heeded my joking request to be given a sylph-like, slender waist! It's a caricature I'm very happy to accept; but also, a reminder that there are many, many ways in which to 'speak the truth with love'; and yes, comedy and exaggeration can be done in a playful, affirming way, which lays no burdens on anyone. 


Comments